In three day’s time the last full moon of 2022 – the Cold Moon or long night moon (so named due to its proximity to the winter solstice, the longest night of the year) will rise. This full moon will be direct in the sign of Gemini on December 7, 2022 at 11:08 pm EST.
The sign of Gemini will dictate the energy during this time when the full cold moon takes place. “A mutable sign, often linked with feelings of duality and curiosity, we’ll likely all be feeling the need to express our true selves,” Rhianne says.– Source
How do we ‘express our true selves’? Do we even know who or what that means?
Tonight I attended a zoom meeting entitled “Navigating the Dark”. Chivito Cowa explained the difference between the Colonized mind’s approach to struggles, pain, and grief compared to the mind of our Indigenous brothers and sisters. The People of the Earth not only understand but embody the seasons and cycles of their Mother. They strive to go with the flow of nature rather than fighting against it. Winter is a time of contraction, a descent into darkness, representative of difficult times, grief and loss. The question posed tonight was whether we are willing to honor the cycle of contraction and expansion.
We who have been conditioned by mother culture want to escape all pain, as if contraction is bad, or life is not life apart from expansion. We have been taught to believe that when we find ourselves in a state of contraction, something must be wrong. Mother earth knows better. To remain in a constant state of expansion sets us apart from Gaia herself. We are creatures born of earth, one day to return to her. In our bones we know that contraction must precede expansion, and descent is necessary if we are ever to ascend.
I would like to share more of the nuggets I gleaned from tonight’s call:
- Bad storytelling casts spells; good storytelling breaks spells. Colonized mind pushes to ‘get through’ the difficulties – to end the pain. Indigenous mind remains present in the struggle of the current story as it unfolds, knowing that dark times are the gateway to progress. What story is my life telling right now?
- We each came into the world with a song. We can only sing that song when we have been broken open. Being broken is a form of descent that takes us deep into the darkness of our inner shadow(s). What old stories still bind me?
- The Celts understood an ‘old hurt’ to be an invaluable initiation into wisdom. How am I being invited to a new story, to growth and new ways to show up?
- The descent into the dark resembles gravity pulling us downward into our true gifts. Like the roots of a tree reaching deep into Mother Earth to discover what new form wants to grow up and out of me. What new strengths am I being asked to grow into?
- There is uncertainty and pain along the dark path of the hero’s journey; there are questions to be found as well. In the darkness, these questions stalk us, and when we finally discover them, we will see paths that we could not discern before. How can I stop trying to fix things, and instead lean into the struggle in order to find different questions – questions that will bring clarity to my path and newfound wisdom into my life?
- Grief and loss reveal what we love. The downward path of loss leads us into the belly of the beast where we experience uncertainty and pain. Here we are tested, broken open, and brought into the medicine we are to embody on this earth. How is clinging to who I was preventing me from discovering, becoming, and embodying who I am now?
Wednesday evening at 8 pm EST I will be offering a Full Moon Ceremony using a new gathering platform called Teacup. The app is free and all are welcome to join. Look for the Full Moon Ceremony Tearoom under the Wellness tab. You can RSVP or just show up. Light a candle, bring a journal & pen, and come ready to release the stories that bind you. The darkness awaits, inviting us to find new questions, clarity, and the path of ascent that will bring forth the song we were meant to sing.
by David Whyte
When your eyes are tired
the world is tired also.
When your vision has gone
no part of the world can find you.
Time to go into the dark
where the night has eyes
to recognize its own.
There you can be sure
you are not beyond love.
The dark will be your womb
The night will give you a horizon
further than you can see.
You must learn one thing.
The world was made to be free in.
Give up all the other worlds
except the one to which you belong.
Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet
confinement of your aloneness
anything or anyone
that does not bring you alive
is too small for you.
Where are you on your hero’s journey? Feel free to share in the comments.
As always, thanks for reading. Namaste.