I have heard it said that the narrow way can be defined as the unique spiritual journey each of us must walk, and that to be on that path is to refuse to conform to the demands of those around us (to walk their path, or the one most people walk), but, instead, boldly trod the path meant specifically for us.
In light of that idea, tonight I had the privilege of taking a walk with a friend who let me share a part of the incredible journey I have been on since we were last really together, some thirty-six years ago. I was reminded that a lot can happen in thirty-six years. (Ya think?!?)
As a result of our conversation, I am making a list of the books (and the people who wrote them) that have had the most influence on my life, both in terms of my beliefs and my spiritual journey. I will list them in order of importance/influence (to me), however, what was important/influential to me may not be for you, understandably. So, eat the meat, spit out the bones, and take from this list what you need (if anything). As a general rule, people will appear first, with their works listed below; book titles will be underlined, other items italicized, and so forth.
NOTE: This list is not meant to be exhaustive by any means. Each of these teachers has written and spoken much more than what I have listed here, however, these are the ones I have actually read and been changed by. Also, I doubt this represents even half of the things I have read or heard that have worked to shape me and my beliefs today; these are simply the ones that stand out in my mind.
If you have questions or would like any further explanation regarding any of these people or their works, please note them in the comments and I will do my best to either answer you, or direct you to a site that can answer better than I.
- Baxter Kruger – Theologian, Author, Maker of Lures, Founder of Perichoresis Inc.
- Jesus and the Undoing of Adam (in my mind, the most important book a modern, Western Christian can read)
- The Shack Revisited (reviewed here on my blog)
- Peter Hiett – Pastor, Author (where the shift in my journey really began)
- Rob Bell – Author, Speaker, Theologian, Innovator
- Love Wins
- Everything is Spiritual (video teaching)
- Jesus Wants to Save Christians
- Here is a great article regarding the firestorm created by John Piper’s Tweet, “Farewell, Rob Bell”, and this is something I wrote during that time.
- Anthony De Mello – Catholic Priest, Author, Speaker
- Awareness (the teaching in this little book can be found on You Tube in several short messages as well)
- The Way to Love
- Michael Hardin – Theologian, Author
- Stricken by God? (a compilation of many author’s works regarding the atonement – you can find some stuff around my blog about this book, especially here)
- http://www.preachingpeace.org for his blog and lots of information about this amazing author
- Brad Jersak – Theologian, Author
- A More Christlike God (I recently reviewed this book here)
- Stricken By God? contributor
Good books on the topic of hell in the Bible:
What does the Bible Really Say About Hell? by Randy Klassen
Razing Hell by Sharon Baker
Evangelical Universalist by George MacDonald
Well, that should get you started. 🙂 I’ll end with one of my favorite theological illustrations:
God bless you as you seek and walk the narrow path laid out just for you!